Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog got into burdock, covered & i am sure he has ate some

Customer Question

my dog got into burdock, covered & i am sure he has ate some of the burrs. panting, constantly wants to go out, drinking more than usual, but no coughing. he is anxious, nervous. bowel movement normal, eating is ok. problem is they get stuck or toxicity?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this site is a crock. hoop jumping is for suckers- refund demanded
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am sorry to hear that Pabbo has likely ingested some burrs. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

These are not toxic but there are a few problems that can be associated with this.

One things we need to watch for is a problem called Burr Tongue. These burdocks have small hooked scales that become embedded in the lips tongue and gums and act as a foreign body. These can cause lesions on the gums, tongue and even the throat. In some cases these have to be surgically removed if the dogs has problems eating or is in severe pain. Pain could explain the nervousness, and panting. These can also cause some digestive upset and even an obstruction if enough of the burrs are ingested.

What I would do first is feed him a piece of bread. This can some times pick up any scales that are stuck in the throat. If possible I would give him 2 pieces of whole grain bread daily. This will not only help pick up any scales ut it can also help to push any burrs that were ingested through the system.

As long as he is eating you can try giving Aspirin tonight to help with any pain. This is dosed at 5mg per pound of body weight every 12 hours. Give with food to prevent stomach upset.

If he does not calm down, seems overly painful, stops eating or vomits after eating then I would have him seen by a vet.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.

Candy

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

I apologize I did not see your second post regarding a refund as I was typing up my answer for you. Would you still like a refund if so I can have that processed for you.

Also I wanted to add that if he is on any steroids or other anti inflammatory medication then you would not want to use the aspirin.

Candy