Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dogs has a weird growth between her toes. She has had an

Customer Question

My dogs has a weird growth between her toes. She has had an antibiotic but it didn't make a change. .
It doesn't seem to itch or worry her but I worry because she is about 12 and has arthritis in her back.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question. Your bet has presented a very good recommendation as far as removing the mass / growth. This will get sufficient tissue from it to send in for histoapthology to determine what it is and if further action is needed. It may be something that isn't easily "biopsied". To be honest, surgical removal is pretty much done rather than biopsy of a mass. The one thing that I would consider here is doing a fine needle aspirate if it first and seeing if some cells are obtained to tell what it is and if a more aggressive surgery is needed. Sometimes fine needle aspirates don't give an answer as to the origin. Before a surgery on this, given his age I would recommend blood work to make sure there are no other issues. It is good that so far this growth isn't bothering her. Hopefully it is a benign lesion.