Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog walks real slow and keeps swallowing

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

Can you tell me if Jenny is having any problems jumping on furniture or playing?

Has there been any change in food?

Has she been eating and drinking normally?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Is she bearing weight on both of her rear legs or is there any intermittent of raising a leg then walking on it then raising it ?

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello , you may be offline at this time. I will answer your question as best possible with the information you gave.

Continuous swallowing, if you are sure there is nothing caught in the throat can be due to nausea/stomach upset as well it can be due to some seizure activity.

Slow walking can be due to a pain within the spine, or pain within the joints. This particular breed is prone to patella luxation so if it is affecting rear legs where he does not want to bear weight on one side or the other than that could be the cause. Given the age of the dog you may also be looking at some joint swelling or disc problems within the spine. A dis problem would also show lack of play and you may see climbing steps or jumping on furniture are troublesome to the dog, and many refuse to do both while this is bothering them.

This breed is not really prone to epilepsy behavior so I would think more a problem with the belly.

You can try two things together that may help with both. Aspirin for any problems with the disc or joints, and pepcid AC for the stomach upset. This is assuming your dog is not on any other medications for joint pain such as NSAIDS. If she is then do not give any aspirin.

Use plain aspirin , not ibuprofen or tylenol type products as both can cause toxicity.

I will direct you to a site for aspirin dosing and Pepcid AC dosing to get you started.

If there is still a problem after two days or symptoms worsen in the mean time you will want to see your vet for a hands on diagnosis.

Make sure over the course of a couple of days the dog stays relaxed and calm with potty outings only

aspirin http://www.school-for-champions.com/animalhealth/aspirin.htm#.VjEjjNKrQdU

pepcid AC http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Lower spinal problems, symptoms and treatments. (IVDD can also happen in the neck area which would show slower movement. iF you call the dog's name and she has a hard time looking up via using the neck verses the eyes then I would suspect it in the neck)

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/brain-spinal-cord-nerves/intervertebral-disc-disease-ivdd---thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs