petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My dog is walking real slow and looks like she keeps

Customer Question

My dog is walking real slow and looks like she keeps swallowing.she's 7 and healthy.started last night.
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

All of the symptoms that you are describing are symptoms that are usually manifest by dogs with nausea or an upset stomach. Usually they will go off of food for a short while as well and that fast often helps to rest the gut and get everything back on track. If this has been going on since last night and has not as of yet resolved, it would be a good idea to have her evaluated by your vet to see if a cause can be found and also to get her some relief with an anti-nausea medication. These are best given by injection.

Nausea is a vague sign that can be associated with simple things like dietary indiscretion to more serious things like intestinal obstruction or metabolic disorders like kidney or liver disease or pancreatitis. After a thorough physical examination, your vet will have a better idea of if further testing is needed or if symptomatic therapy is adequate. In the meantime, it would not be harmful to offer her a dose of the over the counter antacid called Pepcid AC (famotidine). The dose of pepcid to use is 1 mg/pound and round down to the nearest pill size available (10 or 20 mg tabs). So for instance a 12 lb dog would need 12 mg, but the nearest available pill size is 10 mg, so I would give that twice a day for at least a few days to see if it helps.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z