Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My 25lb dog consumed a small amount of new sewing machine

Customer Question

My 25lb dog consumed a small amount of new sewing machine oil. He has vomited 3 times in the last 18 hours. What can I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there! My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Can you tell me the name of the oil?

Do you know how much he consumed?

Is there any possibility he got into anything other than the oil?

How is he acting the otherwise?

Have you still been feeding him normally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 - the bottle only states Sewing machine oil (clear)
2 - at most 2 tablespoons
3 - no
4 - he plays fine but seems to be resting more often.
5 - yes
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

I did a little research while I was waiting for your reply and all the sewing machine oils I found were simply a run-of-the-mill lubricant. Because of this, it's not surprising that he's got some digestive upset at this point, and we can treat it as such.

The gold standard for treatment of both diarrhea and vomiting in a dog is fasting. Generally the problem is acute (meaning it comes on quickly) and can be taken care of without much trouble.

If this were my dog, I'd fast him for 24 hours (providing he doesn't have any underlying diseases such as diabetes that require he eat every few hours). No treats, no food, nothing. You can leave a small amount of water available, but don't allow him to drink too much at one time (placing ice cubes in his bowl so that he can't gulp water will help).

After the 24 hours, I'd offer a bland diet of boiled rice and boiled hamburger (3 parts rice to 1 part burger) in VERY small amounts (perhaps 1/4 c every hour or so) for the next 24 hours. Once you start feeding the rice mixture, monitor the dog for recurring vomiting or the start of diarrhea. If the problem doesn't start again, you can begin slowly mix in his kibble over the next few days until you're back to just kibble.

If the digestive upset persists for more than another day or so, or if your dog becomes lethargic, begins to have blood in the vomit or shows other 'unusual' signs, you should have him seen by a vet, just to rule out any sort of illness or parasite infection, but generally a day of fasting and then bland diet usually clears things up.

I hope this helps!!

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Durango. How is everything going?
Lisa