Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We broke a glass in the kitchen and on moving our 9 year old

Customer Question

Hi, we broke a glass in the kitchen and on moving our 9 year old Yorkie out of danger she got dropped and fell awkwardly. Now she holds up her back right leg and won't put pressure on it. Thought at first she might have glass in her paw, but we felt around, pressed on the pads and she was not bothered. Felt up and down her leg and there is nothing obvious and she feels no pain. It's been 3 days and she still holds her leg up - though sometimes she lets it touch the ground. Ideas?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if Lucy has not shown any improvement over the past 3 days, we need to tread with care. Since she can lift the leg, we'd be less worried about spinal or nerve damage. And thankfully if she can put it down for a moment, hip dislocation is less likely as well. Therefore, our concerns here for Lucy's brave face (since they won't hold up the leg if there is no pain at all) would be a severe muscle strain/sprain (which could be worse at her age since arthritis is so common in dogs), a hairline fracture of the bone or damage/rupture of a tendon in the leg.

In this case, if she hasn't improved at all, then it would be ideal to have her checked. Your vet could make sure we don't have a fracture or tendon damage that may need to be addressed. If those are clear, then they can start Lucy on a dog safe anti-inflammatory like Metacam, Onsior, Previcox, or Rimadyl. Otherwise, in the meantime, you could try warm compressing this leg and using a low dose of Aspirin (More Info/Dose HERE) to reduce inflammation. Just in case you do not have a compress, you can make one by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).

Overall, even though she isn't acting painful when you press on her leg, her refusal to use the limb does suggest that she has pain when she flexes/extends the limb herself. Therefore, since she isn't showing significant improvement, we'd be best to have those more serious concerns checked for and to get her onto some anti-inflammatories to get her using the leg again as soon as possible.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks for the information. My wife took Lucy to the vet here in San Diego yesterday afternoon. She took an x-ray that showed an abnormal placement in the right knee - assuming ACL or similar - recommended knee surgery for $2500 - more if damage
to the patella. I wonder - is there a wide variation in prices for pet surgery in a particular city? Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
p.s. I had a friend who was a pro mountain bike rider who rode with a separated ACL for a few years. I imagine the
ACL is a bigger problem with dogs since they are not restrained and careful, and can't compensate with exercises to strengthen surrounding muscles?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Poor wee lass!

You are absolutely right that our canine patients can be more challenging since they do struggle to rest themselves post operatively and don't follow doctors orders.

Now in regards ***** ***** prices do tend to range by city/state/surgeon (obviously a specialist will cost more then a general practice vet doing the operation). There is no established baseline for charging, therefore you may want to ring around to get an idea of what other local practices charge. Your current vet may be happy to price match what you find, or you may find a better option for Lucy. And just in case you did want her to see a specialist surgeon, I would note that the ACVS database to do so is HERE.

All the best,

Dr. B.