Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Is it ok to give my 45 lb lab a probioitic with maltodrexin,

Customer Question

Is it ok to give my 45 lb lab a probioitic with maltodrexin, hypromellose, titanium dioxide, silicon dioxide, chlorophyllin, magnesium stearate & microcrustalline cellulose? She's on antibiotics and I thought that would help reduce the chance of diahrea
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
written reply is fine thanks. the name of the probiotic is Digestive Advantage from Schiff, green & white capsule

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

Thanks for the further information, I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. This is a very short answer I know but it 100% covers your question. There is nothing in the list of ingredients in that probiotic which will be at all toxic to your dog. To give this class of product to a dog on antibiotics is often a very good idea as it will cut down the possibility of gastroenteritis due to imbalance of intestinal flora.

2. Just use half the human dose in your case, this may mean opening the capsule and sprinkling the contents on his food but that should be just fine.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much.

Hello again ,

No problem, very glad to have advised you. I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if Bay's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Bay is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the probiotic...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.