petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I have a mini labradoodle and he has an open wound on one of

Customer Question

I have a mini labradoodle and he has an open wound on one of his back legs. Nothing will stop him from getting at this. We have tried multiple cones and e collars and medication and he always finds a way to get it and is making it worse and worse. It is now abount the size of a quarter and he has licked all of the hair off that spot. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Can you tell me where at on the leg the wound is? Is it above the knee or below?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About two inches above his toes
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply.

These lick sores are a challenge and you are correct that if they are allowed to lick them, they will never heal and will only continue to get larger. The only way I have been able to successfully manage them is with bandaging (and antibiotics until they heal.). If a stirrup bandage is placed and the toes left exposed, the dogs seem to tolerate them better and they don't slide off. I am sure that your vet know how to place them, but let me try to explain to you.

You start off with two long strips of tape placed on either side of the affected paw and extending past the end of the paw. It is helpful to use a tongue depressor to stick the free ends of the tape so that they don't get tangled with each other as in this picture.

LINK HERE

Once that is in place, use a cotton gauze wrap and start just above the toes to wrap upward until it is past the site of the sore. If the sore is moist, you might want to cover with a telfa pad first. After the sore is adequately covered with a few layers of wrap, don't cut it yet, but gently peel the tape form the stick and fold back over on itself over the wrapped area(so that the sticky side in now facing up) and continue with a few layers of wrap to cover the rolled over tape. This is essentially wrapping the tape stirrup to the wrap and securing the bandage in place without having to tape more of the leg. This pulls on the hair less and is more comfortable for the dog.

If you can keep the bandage clean and dry and keep him from biting it off, it can stay in place until the sore heals, by may need periodic changes. You may need the e-collar to keep him from getting to the bandage, but they generally tolerate these pretty well.

I hope that makes sense.

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where can i find those stirrup bandages and telfa pads
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

You have to fashion them yourself using cotton roll gauze, porous tape and telfa pads. Most of these bandage materials can be found at a pharmacy or medical supply store. Your vet would likely have the bandage products as well.