petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My dogs 10 and diabetic

Customer Question

hi my dogs 10 and diabetic
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Zoe today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Did Zoe perk up after the honey?

How long has she been on insulin? What is the type of insulin that you are using?

What is her normal dosing of insulin? Do you normally give it once or twice a day?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank u, my vets out of town :( been on insulin 9 years, she takes ( novolin N human) she normally gets 5 untis am with half can WD
and 5 Untits pm with half can wd
however last week she had a hypo attack, and the doc said i was OD her on insulin
so he chaged dose to 3 untits twice a day..6 units total
but shes been drinking ALOT so i knew her sugar was wacked out
today she had 3 untis at 7 am, then i took her blood at vet it was 318 !!
so the doc said via phone call to up it to 4 units with dinner........and to feed her all day, so i did but she crashed
but yes the honey did perk her up
she i feed her more food maybe??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
shes still in crash mode, tired and lifeless, dose this mean her BG is to LOW ???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
shes not passed out" just very tired, but i have the entire night still !! ahhh....and im not sure what to do? thank you!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ohhh and shes 13 lbs...shes just breathing heavy thats whats not normal , but i think shes also got a very full tummy from all she ate today..
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

It is always better to error on the side of caution and let her run high on her BG than to chance her being low. If she will eat more, I would give her more. If not, yes give her a little more honey?

Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the ability to check her BG at home?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i do not test her at home :( i have never.
but shes panting and burning up very hot
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the ability to measure her temperature at home?

If she has a fever, her panting and listlessness may not be due to her diabetes at all, but she may have something else going on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
u are saying that hers is to high right ? or can she have same symtons if its low??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i just gave her a little more honey..and it seems to help..im sure she would eat more ,but that would put her a 2 cans!!! of food for the day' lol
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Dogs with a high blood sugar do not usually have any obvious symptoms except the increased drinking that develops. Dogs that have a low BG can act listless, but what I am saying is that I am worried that she may have a fever and may have something else going on that is causing the panting and the lethargy. If she has developed an infection or even an inflammatory process is going on (like a pancreatitis), that would throw off her BG regulation. I am worried that may be what has happened.

Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a digital thermometer that you can use to measure her body temperature rectally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** be, i am going to get that tested tomorrow, i think the honey is helping,
i will look to see if i can take her temp..thank u so very much! :))
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
shes been a very sick puppy with her Diabetes ...its so hard to know when they cant talk.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

You will not hurt her by giving honey or food, even if her BG is high right now. I would not give any more insulin until you have her BG checked. If you take her temperature and she registers anything over 103, especially if the panting continues, I would consider seeking emergency services tonight.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you i will do that, i will go get a reader, right now.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

If she starts acting sicker or becoming more lethargic, I am worried she may have developed ketoacidosis and this can be a serious complication of diabetes that requires immediate attention.

Here is a link with more information about that.

LINK HERE

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you ! again:) lisa
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Lisa,

Just following up to see how Zoe was doing this morning.

Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lisa,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Zoe. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.