Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Have a 10 lb chi/terrier who loves to jump off new gh bed -

Customer Question

Have a 10 lb chi/terrier who loves to jump off new high bed - he has stairs to get up but flys off bed. Recently hurt muscles but better now. Would placing wrestling mat or thick foam mats around bed reduce chance of injury when he jumps down - wont's use steps for going down.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

While a mat might make his landing softer, given the breed they are prone to disc issues which can cause problems when then jump off of furniture.

I would rather see you train him to use the step at all times, especially since he is getting older. You can train this by picking up some bed rails at a used store such as salvation army or even a yard sale, and put them up on either side of the steps, then that will kind of force him to use the steps. At that point you want to put a command to the steps, and praise and reward with something special each time he uses the steps rather than jumping off.