Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our 10 year old dog who has a bad case of mange (the non

Customer Question

Hello, our 10 year old dog who has a bad case of mange (the non contagious one) has spent years getting dips and chemical baths because he suffered with mange since he was a puppy (low immune system). It got pretty bad in the last year (lost most of his hair and scabs on head). Well we started treating him naturally and stopped the antibiotics for a month, and now all of a sudden he is limping in his back leg, he doesn't make a pain noise, but he won't stand on it. He also licks that paw way more than others. We heard of yeast being an issue for the mange and on the paws. What could be wrong? It is also swollen....
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, it is possible that my boyfriend may have stepped on that foot partially a week ago.. but we can't remember, it was on accident, and we never thought about it because he seemed fine. But we noticed him limping 2 days ago randomly... I know we try to give him baths in a tub and he has some hard time getting in and out and almost tripped one time...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He walked up and down the stairs when we take him out though... but when we see him standing or walking we see him not wanting to put pressure on it.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

First, I do just want to note that if Benny has had chronic issues with demodectic mange, there is a fairly new product on the market called Bravecto that is really showing promise with managing this for dogs. So, that is worth considering if he still has some issues with that.

Otherwise, based on your description, I suspect that paw pad region is infected. It could be related to yeast overgrowth but also could be bacterial. We just commonly see issues with each of these since they are naturally on the skin but gain access to it when the mite issues cause skin inflammation. In regards ***** ***** it will depend on how severe this is. If it is fairly mild, then bathing the foot with a antibacterial/yeast product like Malaseb (example) can really help. If the region small, you can even apply OTC miconazole or clotrimazole twice daily between the toes. If it is more severe then, we'd need to potentially be thinking about systemic/oral treatment (ie steroids, antibiotics, etc) to at least settle this before using topical care as needed. And of course, if he is licking it (with saliva riddled with bacteria), we need to block his access to it. So, Benny may need to wear an e-collar for the short term as you treat this foot.

Overall, while trauma could cause lameness, the swelling just sounds like we have a pyoderma or yeast infection between the pads. Therefore, we'd want to take the above approach to address it and see if we can get him settled.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Benny. How is everything going?
nekovet