Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I have a beagle pup, 6 months old this coming week. We have

Customer Question

I have a beagle pup, 6 months old this coming week. We have had her for almost 3 months and she really despises going outside.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I"m happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Does she go outside to go to the bathroom?

Are you outside with her when she's out there?

Does she like other dogs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She will usually urinate outside but #2 is becoming a challenge. We are in aprtments and have to walk her out to a more secluded field. Myself or my husband are always out with her. She does okay around other dogs, but shows minimal interest in playing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She will refuse to come out of her crate lately when we come home or get up for the day because she does not want to go on the leash and go outside. She would rather mess in the house than do her business outside it often seems.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Does she use a potty pad inside?

Does she seem like she's fearful of going outside?

Do you have any friends with dogs who might be able to help with a little training?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We put potty pads inside her crate, but she rips them to pieces when she is locked in the crate. She is fearful while outside and tries to avoid getting the leash attached while inside. And no, that is why I am using this site.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Okay great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

It sounds like we may need to use a little over-the-counter product to help take the edge off her anxiety to help her understand where she's supposed to go to the bathroom.

A couple things you could try would be:

Melantonin is an over-the-counter drug that can be used to treat some anxiety issues in dogs. The dose you would give would be up to 3 mg given orally whenever necessary up to every 8 hours. More information can be found here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/melatonin-melatonex/page1.aspx , which includes risks, warning signs to watch out for and other bits of useful information.

Try a DAP collar. These are collars that are impregnated with a man-made version of the dog appeasing pheromone, which is a pheromone that nursing bitches give off to their pups to help them feel calm and secure. It's something that humans can't smell, but it has an amazing effect on dogs with anxiety and other issues. Although you can find them at your vet's office..you can also find them online at places like Amazon.com and Ebay for much cheaper. Just make sure they're DAP brand, as they seem to work better than some other versions.

If you're unable to get her to understand with the use of products and the potty training, you may want to consider using a product like a potty patch so she has somewhere to go in the house that doesn't result in ruining your flooring or mess in her cage.

You can read more about it here: https://www.pottypatch.com/?refcode=1002&ot=tm&gclid=CKmX2uGP3sgCFcKGaQodeJ0BBg

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are the dog versions of melatonin or do you give a human pill?
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

You can just use the human version. I'd find the 1mg tablets and start with just 1mg. The highest you could go for any dog would be 3mgs...but start really low.