Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I hope you can help because I can't stand watching my dog in

Customer Question

I hope you can help because I can't stand watching my dog in such distress. I am convinced her own body is creating some sort of toxin in her. Three weeks ago she was bad. But then by some miracle i thought she was cured. I had my old sweet dog back. she is a 7 year old pit Bull, never been agressive just the seetest dog until I noticed her acting strange. not eating, always tired, bloated stomache, breath smells like metal. She was having a hard time breathing she has even had small seisures, and she seems very confused and now is on the defense. almost as if she doesnt recognize me. she seems lost and confused. I dont know what else to do. I thought it was neuroligical so I paid 2,500 to a university to do an Spinal tape and blood work this was in Feb. everything fine. Now I'm convinced the problem is some sort of toxin and I'm afraid if I dont figure this out she will die. Please help me.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You may be correct. I'm concerned that either hepatoencephalopathy (a poorly functioning liver is intoxicating her brain) or uremic encephalopathy (poorly functioning kidneys are intoxicating her brain) is present. Queen's vet needs to repeat diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests at this time. Serum bile acids - a blood test that tells us how well her liver is functioning - should be included in Queen's testing. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.