VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094

My German shepherd is on Novalox and Cosequin DS p displasia

Customer Question

My German shepherd is on Novalox and Cosequin DS for her hip displasia and a blown out knee. I noticed that she hasn't felt good for the last week and I thought it was because I ran out of her meds. Got them refilled and no change. Today she urinated on the carpet as if she needed me to see that she was having problems with her urinary tract. She passed a small blood clot, some puss and there was blood in her urine. I can't afford to take her to the ER but she will see her vet on Monday. I have some antibiotics here for snake bites. Cefalexin. Can I give her this until Monday?
Category: Dog
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 1 year ago.

Hi there! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you with your question.

To address the question about the antibiotics, it is best not to start them on an antibiotic for an infection before heading to the vet. The reason for this is that it leads to bacterial resistance - the first antibiotic will kill off the weaker bacteria and leave the stronger bacteria to proliferate (making them harder to kill off). Your vet will want to identify the infection and determine which antibiotic is best to use to get rid of her infection.

If she is an unspayed female and you are seeing a discharge of blood and pus in combination with her not feeling well, I would urge you to consider taking her in today, as these are the signs we see associated with something called a pyometra, which is a uterine infection of unspayed female dogs, and it can be life-threatening.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Melodie. How is everything going?
VetTechErin