Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I have a siberian husky on 8 years old. he does suffer from

Customer Question

Hi i have a siberian husky on 8 years old. he does suffer from occasional seizures from a zinc deficiency.
Right now and over the past few hours hes been acting very weird. every 15-20 steps he takes forward he stops abruptly and takes 3 steps back. He is panting like crazy and is also drooling. We called the vet but they are closed today and we are all very worried.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He also broke out of our backyard this morning which is rare a the fence is latched shut and hard to open
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

My fear for sweet Timber is that the seizures may not be only from a zinc deficiency but from a brain tumor. This episode that you are describing is a neurologic issue either from a tumor that has grown large enough to start impinging on other parts of his brain or a brain defect of some kind. You will have to take him to your vet for testing and possibly an MRI to determine the cause and treatment. For now, I would give Timber benadryl at 2 mg per pound every 12 hrs to try to calm him down. This may or may not help and if the symptoms worsen, you may need to seek help from an ER vet at least for medication to calm Timber down until the cause can be revealed.

Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you
Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vet has assured me in the past that it is not a brain tumor and Timber suffers from Epilepsy which causes his seizures. My mistake, the zinc deficiency cause a rash on his face in the past

That could be true but these symptoms that Timber is showing now are very typical of a Central Nervous System defect...this could be a tumor, or infection. It is best if this continues, to seek the advice of a Veterinary Neurologist that would know for sure and how best to help Timber.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Timber. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta