Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog is on 3rd day of Tramadol days - p flare up - he has

Customer Question

My dog is on 3rd day of Tramadol for 10 days - for arthritic hip flare up - he has become amazingly restless and is not resting nor staying quiet as directed. Can he take xanax he has for noise anxiety to calm/sedate him a bit?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about your Mastiff's problems. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Tramadol usually has a sedative effect, if anything. I would mention this side effect to your veterinarian.

Is he taking anything else for the arthritis? Tramadol is a great pain drug, but has no anti inflammatory effects and a lot of arthritis pain is due to inflammation.

I checked in my drug book; Xanax is not on the list of drugs not to give with tramadol, and vice versa. However, you should check in with the veterinarian who prescribed the tramadol to let him know about this.

Let me know if I can help with or research anything else for you. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see what I sent. Can I help with or answer anything else?

Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating.