Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog is lim[ing in her front almost like a ankle you can

Customer Question

my dog is lim[ing in her front almost like a ankle you can touch the top of the leg but not the bottompart where she bends to walk on for one month she is a norweigen elkhound an is 5
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

You will need to look over the paw and lower leg real well. If necessary, you may need to muzzle her while you do so. Look for splinters especially around the pads. Look between the toes for sores or pebbles, redness or inflammation. If you find a pebble or splinter, you can remove it. If you find a sore, then you can treat it by soaking the paw 2-3 times a day with warm water and epson salt, disinfecting with hydrogen peroxide and applying Neosporin or triple antibiotic cream. I would then use a baby sock to keep the paw clean changing as it gets dirty.

You will also want to check the nails. Dogs whose nails have become overly long can have a lot of pain due to the nails pushing the toes back and up. Also check the nails for splits. If you find one split, you should try and cut it back. If it is badly split on most of the nail, you may want to have the Vet do it as there is a chance of some bleeding if the nail is cut too short. Take a clean dry cloth and hold it firmly on the nail tip for 5 minutes straight. You can then use a styptic pencil, corn starch or flour in a pinch to stop the bleeding though. Some people recommend using a piece of a paper bag against the nail to stop the bleeding, or rubbing a candle against the nail so the wax stops the bleeding. You'll want to keep your dog calm as walking around may start it bleeding again.

If none of these things is the cause, then you may need to have it looked at by another vet to determine if a fracture is present or not. While it seems to be the lower leg, it may actually be the shoulder area, so your vet can check that out as well. If there is no bleeding, buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours for pain... Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here.
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx

If your dog is putting any weight on the leg, that is a good sign. Here are a few different things that can cause this. You can read about them here

http://www.labbies.com/dysplasa.htm

Your dog might be having problems with an elbow or with an injury to the wrist area.

If swelling develops, it might indicate carpal hyperextension which you can read about here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/carpal-hyperextension-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Dogs can have elbow dysplasia and Lyme disease can also cause lameness as well. You can read about elbow dysplasia here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/elbow-dysplasia-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Since it has been going on for over a month, I do suggest seeing a different vet and not the same office you were seen in before.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.