Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog on her front leg had a small line that had some hair

Customer Question

My dog on her front leg had a small line that had some hair loss. Most hair has come back except for one spot that still has hair loss and skin looks like burned or black. Have any suggestions to what is
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Notice little limping. When touch area downtown bother her. Checked up and down leg and shoulder don't feel any bumps
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Has she been licking the area?

Did you mean it doesn't bother her?

Any swelling in the area of discoloration?

Any changes to the skin here (ie crusting, pimples, etc)?

Can you take a photo of this area? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paperclip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just don't know if that is the reason she is limping. We have her in a kennel and when she first gets up and walks around she is limping. Don't know if she hurt herself or if growth spurt. She is a year and half old. She is eating and still running around good. So don't know if over reacting
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

We'd not expect lameness to be associated with skin lesions. If she is worse when she first rises, then it is likely a muscle strain/sprain as opposed to nerve or bone damage. So, we'd want to rest her and monitor that. Otherwise, if you can answer the above questions and preferably post a photo, I can then review this skin lesion as well and give you a idea of what may be causing that as well.

All the best,

Dr. B.