Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I have a yorkie mixed with tierrie....I am uncertain of s

Customer Question

I have a yorkie mixed with tierrie....I am uncertain of his age because he was just given to my family within the last week....however his balls are extremely red, I have noticed this condition this afternoon.....he has been doing excessive locking and his appetite had decreased a little and it hurts him.....when I rub his belly he growls as he think I am getting to closet to the area....can you help???
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Is he neutered or not?

Can you tell if his testicles are swollen or not?

is he licking the testicles excessively or is it the penis and testicles?

Has he been to the vet yet?

did you change the food he was being fed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I greatly appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to assist me....however I'm not certain if he is neutered or not.....yes his testicles are swollen....he is just kicking the testicles excessively.....he has not been to a vet yet....I am planning to take him soon....I recently just changed his food intake.....I went from giving him hard food to soft food.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
licking*

Thanks for the additional information. If the testicles just became red and swollen then it might be related to the change in diet. He could very well have a food allergy leading to the swelling. If you thnk this might be the case, you can give benadryl at a dosage of up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours. If you see improvement, that might be the cause. I would put him back on his previous food.

If that doesn't help, then there may be a different cause for the swelling and redness. A dog's testicles can become swollen for numerous reasons. It can be caused by an injury, which allowed microorganisms to enter the testicles. Some diseases like influenza or distemper can cause swelling. You don't know if he has his vaccinations I'm assuming so this may be a real issue.

There is a disorder called Hydrocele which allows fluid to accumulate in the scrotum. A dog's testicles can also twist causing swelling and sudden pain. This is called Testicular Torsion. The testicles are also a site that can be affected by tumors as well in intact males. If the benadryl and putting him back on his previous food doesn't help the situation quickly, you really are going to need to have him seen sooner rather than later especially since you do not know his medical history. I'd see if you can't get in to see a vet tomorrow if you dont' see improvement.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.

Let me know if you need more information.