petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I am worried about my Doberman she is eating not as much as

Customer Question

I am worried about my Doberman she is eating not as much as she usually does but I don't see her drinking much water and there is a lot of junk in both eyes
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Lexie today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

How long has this been going on?

Has she been doing any vomiting?

Are her stools normal?

Is she acting lethargic?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Couple of days, I have not seen her vomit and I have not gone out and watched her go to the bathroom. She seems slightly lethargic but is still active
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply.

It is hard to say if the discharge from the eyes are the cause of her acting down like this or if there is something else going on that is also causing the eyes to discharge. Systemic disease will sometimes manifest with ocular symptoms. In any case, since this has been going on for a couple of days and it is not improving, it definitely warrants having her evaluated by your vet. After a thorough physical exam, your vet will have a better idea of if there is any other testing that is needed. If there is suspicion of underlying disease, they may recommend bloodwork or xrays. On top of the they will likely want to perform some testing of her eyes to see if they can determine a cause for the discharge. Conjunctivitis or inflammation of the eye can be secondary to allergies, trauma, irritants, anatomical problems with the lids or lashes or even problems with their tears or tear ducts. There can even be problems with the eye internally like glaucoma that can cause redness on the outside.

I would definitely contact your veterinarian soon so that this doesn't progress and she ends up getting dehydrated.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lexie. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.