Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Lt;then 8lb dog ate aTizandine HCL 4 mg

Customer Question

lt;then 8lb dog ate aTizandine HCL 4 mg
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago?

What have you been trying to get her to vomit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My finger
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
30 min by now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I am typing a reply now.

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience, as I did have quite a bit to type about poor Lucy,

Since Tizandine is not a drug that we use in veterinary medicine, we only have limited information on its effects in dogs. Though referring to the research studies done, we do know that this drug can cause GI upset, sedation, lethargy, can slow the heart and breathing rates, and potentially even cause collapse in some dogs. The dose you have listed Lucy having is quite small, but we could still see some of the milder adverse effects for her.

Therefore, since its been <2 hours and as long as she isn't appearing sedated, then we can induce vomiting. Now using a finger isn't going to work (as you have seen) and is actually a good way to get bitten. So, instead, try giving her OTC 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

Otherwise, if you cannot get her vomiting or she seems sleepy at all, then you could use activated charcoal here. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed. This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken,boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

** Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I canto provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)