Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 8 month old Westie,11 lbs. enjested artist's of

Customer Question

My 8 month old Westie,11 lbs. enjested artist's of paint, burnt sieanna by " Holbein." I was told by emergency service to use hydrogen peroxide to have her vomit. She emptied her stomach at about 9:00 last night. She is sluggish this morning. what should
i do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Since you gave me the brand name, I have checked the Material Data Safety sheet for this oil paint and there are no listed toxins in it. Therefore, if you have induced vomiting and gotten quite a bit back, then Ivy's risk here is low. Further to that, you need only flush her mouth to remove and residue and monitor for any stomach upset. Otherwise, if you did want to err on the side of caution, then you could follow up with OTC activated charcoal from the pharmacy. We can give this at a dose of 1-4 grams per pound of her weight every 8 hours to just bind any lingering oil pain in her stomach. But again there is nothing listed as harmful per the company's data sheet. So, as long as she didn't eat the non-edible tube, we'd expect no harm.

Finally, you noted that she is sluggish, but that is likely due to having spent the evening vomiting. So, in regards ***** ***** we'd just want to let her rest and recover. If she seems unsteady on her stomach, then try her with an easily digestible diet like white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. And if she does seem nauseous, then you can also treat with an antacid. Pet safe options include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac).Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if she has any ongoing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )