Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My Doberman (2+ years old) was recently started on synthesis

Customer Question

My Doberman (2+ years old) was recently started on synthesis and antifungal medication, he is now having difficulty controlling his urine, any thoughts?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that you've been having some troubles with Laz. I know it's a bit frustrating when their house training seems to go out the window. I'll help you decide if there might be a medical reason. I've got a few questions to help me sort this out:

• when you wrote synthesis, did you mean synthroid?
  • is he taking any prednisone?
  • do you feel that he's drinking more water than usual?
  • are you seeing any straining or difficulty passing the urine or blood in the urine?
  • how is he acting otherwise?

Thanks and I'll await your reply :)

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
synthroid, I am not sure if he is drinking more water but it is a possibility ( I am not usually home, but my family says he maybe drinking more), no prednisone, acting normally and not straining
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Fantastic :) Thank you for the prompt reply :)

In some dogs the thyroid hormone (synthroid) can make them drink more water than usual. In that case, they could potentially have urinary "accidents" that are uncharacteristic. You vet likely has made plans to recheck the thyroid level in a month or two, and this type of thing is exactly why we do this. It's definitely a good idea to have your vet check a urine sample for infection just to be sure, but the hallmark signs of a urinary tract infection are straining to urinate, increased frequency of urinations with small volumes, and occasionally blood in the urine. So your history isn't really classic for a urinary tract infection, but the best way to tell would be having that urine sample checked.

Please let me know what follow up questions I can handle for you :)

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! Thank you so much :)