Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has an eye infection that wont go away, first he got

Customer Question

My dog has an eye infection that wont go away, first he got sprayed by a skunk and got it in the eye, so the eye swelled and i took him to the vet , who prescribed hi doxycylyne, dexetasone, and eurothricyne. The eye didnt get better so i took him to ER to see the ophtalmologist who then prescribed amox tr k clv and gabapentin and my dog does not get any better. In fact he is worse. I need advise please. I dont know where to go or to see. Everyone seems to not knowing what is going on with my dog 's eye
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I need to know, please, if the opththalmologist was a specialist veterinary ophthalmologist as can be found here: www.acvo.org. I would suspect that the ophthalmologist associated with the facility in which the ER was located would be such a specialist and so if I'm correct, that's the vet who needs to see Max's eye once again to see why it isn't getting better and determine how best to proceed. If that ophthalmologist weren't a specialist, it would prudent for Max's regular vet to refer Max to such a specialist. Do you recall what the ophthalmologist diagnosed? I would conjecture that Max's cornea was badly irritated by the skunk spray and now may have ulcerated and even perforated which would require immediate attention by a specialist. Unfortunately, I regret that it's impossible for me to assess Max's cornea accurately from here.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.