Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 20 year old has rear leg and p spasms which just

Customer Question

my 20 year old ***** ***** has rear leg and hip spasms which just developed. It is as if she were humping another dog. Any ideas?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like she is having spasms along her spine and pelvis. This can be due to one of many things- back pain, abdominal pain, urinary pain, pelvic pain or behavioral.

I would want to get an exam to palpate her spine, abdomen and to get a rectal exam to evaluate her pelvis, urethra and bladder. Sometimes a mass is palpated rectally that is pressing on the urethra or colon and we can have straining behavior that may look like this.

The fact that it just came on suddenly points more to back pain, muscle spasms or hip pain. Hopefully she just needs some pain meds (Rimadyl, Tramadol, Gabapentin) and rest to get this under control.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rob,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Maggie. How is everything going?