Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I took my puppy to the Vet due to what I thought was Cherry

Customer Question

I took my puppy to the Vet due to what I thought was Cherry Eye. He said it's not the third eyelid that's flipped it only looks like it's swollen . He gave me a oinymsbt to put in his eye.. But it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I've tried to massage his eye and use a warm compress but the puppy isn't tolerating either. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Myles. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Can you possibly post a picture of his eye?

What is the ointment you are using?

This is an information request, to help me answer your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will post a picture . The vet gave me triple antibiotic ophthalmic ointment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm posting 2 pictures
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Thanks!

It is a little blurry, but it does look like a cherry eye to me,

I would be trying an ointment that has an anti inflammatory medication in addition to the antibiotics. Antibiotics will not reduce swelling and redness and inflammation.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

The second picture is more clear. I would have thought this was a cherry eye (the gland in the third eyelid turned inside out). I have had a few of these improve, without surgery, using eye ointment that contains dexamethasone for inflammation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This 1/8 ounce $45 tube had bacitracin-neomycin- polmyxin. I asked about cherry eye and the vet said his eye lid didn't look like it was flipped. So he did nothing but give me this expensive ointment that doesn't seem effective .. Anywhere I can get the other ointment or things to try at home?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This picture was before the vet visit .. Seems worse
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

That is an ointment that contains antibiotics, which will help if this is a bacterial infection. There is nothing for inflammation.

I would try an ointment containing either a steroid like dexamethasone, or a nonsteroidal anti inflammatory like Flurbiprofen, but they require a prescription from a veterinarian who has seen and examined him.

Gosh, it sure looks like a cherry eye to me!

You could try Terramyicin. It is an antibiotic ointment containing tetracycline, which also has anti inflammatory properties. It is available in pet stores, feed stores and online without a prescription, unless you are in California.

My husband just walked in. He is also a veterinarian and I had him look at the pictures and he says cherry eye, too.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Other then another ointment . Is there anything I should be doing at home to help resolve this or will he have this bulge forever ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I took him in my thought was cherry eye but didn't wanna self diagnose. Seems like the vet didn't treat him correctly .
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

If it is a cherry eye, it might be there forever. Most cherry eyes need surgery to correct. A few will resolve with topical steroid ointment.

I can't see it as well as your vet who saw him "live" but it sure looks like a cherry eye to me. I treat them with topical steroids, and warn the owners that if it does not resolve, it will require surgery to fix.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you! He has his puppy shots in a next week. I will have his regular vet see what she thinks
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

That is a great idea. Let me know what you find out.

Can I help with or answer anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is she doing? I hope this was helpful. Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.