petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I have a 14 week old female boxer that has two bumps growing

Customer Question

good morning. i have a 14 week old female boxer that has two bumps growing under her chin. they seem to grow daily. she eats out of stainless steel bowl. the bumps are underneath her bottom jaw on the left and right side. they are raised and flesh colored. i have been putting apple cider vinegar on them. they dont seem to bother her. im just wondering what they could be and if i should just keep an eye on them. she has had all of her vaccines without any adverse reactins
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Are the lumps symmetrical (in the same place on both sides?

How large are the lumps?

Do they look inflammed at all?

Would you be able to attach a picture of one or both of them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am currently at work and can't attach a picture , they are somewhat symmetrical and about the same size. They probably measure about 1/4 of an inch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are barely red, mostly flesh colored, but hair loss on then
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will you only be able to help if you get a picture?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am working on getting a picture to you
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply. I am thinking that you are referring to the dermal papilla from which the whiskers on the muzzle grow. Sometimes they are even clumps of smaller whiskers versus a single one. These would definitely be in a similar location on both sides of the lower jaw and they are not always readily apparent and may become more prominent as the dog grows. They can also become irritated of even infected, but in that case, would usually be red or inflammed.

Another possibility would be a folliculitis which is an infected hair follicle. These are common in young dogs and are similar for comparison purposes to acne in teens. These are usually red and inflammed looking and wold be coincidental to be symmetrically located.

When you get home, take at look at them again and see if there appear to be whiskers, even small ones, erupting from them. If so, they most likely are a normal anatomical structure. If not, I would have your vet evaluate them to make sure they are not infected follicle. I would also have a skin scraping for demodex mites performed as well as they are commonly found on young dogs, living in the hair follicle of the muzzle and causing a folliculitis.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get the picture?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get the picture I sent?
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay, I was replying to another question. Yes, did get it. Let me review it and respond.

Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

While it does look like there may be small whiskers erupting from that area, this is not what a typical dermal papilla looks like or even an inflammed one for that matter. That is very suspicious of demodex mites and I would definitely have a skin scraping performed. In addition, a ringworm culture (which is a fungus) and a skin cytology to look at the surface cells for bacteria or yeast should be performed as well. It does look symmetrical, but it may be that she is rubbing her chin and creating the hair loss or it is coincidental.

Here is a link with more information about demodex in puppies and how it occurs as well as how it is treated.

LINK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome. Please let me know what is found.