Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My son is an Art student. He went to the bathroom and came

Customer Question

My son is an Art student. He went to the bathroom and came back and his pug had licked his paint board. There was just a quarter size there but it was cadmium yellow. Should we just watch her or induce vomiting and see a vet in the morning.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

After reviewing the Materials Safety Data Sheet for this paint (as opposed to the cadmuim alone), I can say that there is little toxicity risk in an ingestion situation of this nature. Therefore, further to flushing her mouth with cool water, we'd just want to monitor Daisy at this stage. If anything, we could see some stomach upset (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramps) from this. It is ingestion of the tube of paint that typically causes more serious issues (ie liver or kidney damage). Therefore, if you do or wish to be proactive, you cold consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Further to this, we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. Ones we can use here include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Please take care,

Dr .B.