Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My Westie 11 years old..I sprayed m with anti ich spray

Customer Question

My Westie 11 years old..I sprayed him with anti ich spray for skin allergies he has been having problems with..he now is like licking air..floor anything he can lick...he will stop for short periods of time but starts doing it again..
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi jacustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Licking in the manner you indicate could be a sign that your dog has nausea or a problem with anemia, a liver issue, or even a seizure problem.

Nausea can be caused by a dietary indiscretion, liver disease, a touch of pancreatitis or even inflammatory bowel disease and a side effect as well.. It seems you tried pepto, but you might try some pepcid instead. Read about dosages and usage information here:

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

A dental issue can cause a dog to lick excessively as well though you usually see drooling with dental issues. Partial seizure activity can manifest as licking. However, in some cases, licking is just an attention getting behavior or a way of dealing with anxiety. Some dog also have obsessive compulsive disorder.

In this case, the licking is likely the result of an upset stomach which could be a side effect of the gentacalm. You can read more about gentacalm here:

http://www.drugs.com/vet/gentacalm-topical-spray.html

I would not use it on him again and I would notify your vet as well.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.

I'm about ready to retire for the evening. So if you have more questions, I'll respond in the morning.

Hi Brenda,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Wormsley. How is everything going?