petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My one year lab is dry heaving but nothing is coming up.

Customer Question

My one year lab is dry heaving but nothing is coming up. He's eating and drinking just fine and otherwise is his usual happy and playful self. Any thoughts? It's been going on for 3 data
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

How often is this occurring throughout the day?

Is he keeping his food down?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This happens about 2 times per day (early morning and during the middle of the night) and he is keeping his food down just fine.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thank you for the reply.

These kind of symptoms usually indicate an irritation of the lining of the GI tract. Most likely stomach, but it could also be an esophagitis. There are various things that can cause this including hyperacidity or reflux as well as non-specific inflammatory conditions or even cancers (not common in young dogs) In young labs, we also have to be worried about the possibility of a foreign body ingestion as well as they are notorious for eating things that they shouldn't.

If it continues, I would definitely recommend that you have him evaluated by your veterinarian for this for diagnosis and treatment. In the meantime, since he is still having a normal appetite and is otherwise acting ok, it would be OK to use a trial of an over the counter antacid like Pepcid AC (famotidine) The dose of pepcid to use is 1 mg/pound and round down to the nearest pill size available (10 or 20 mg tabs). So for instance a 50 lb dog would need 50 mg. I would give that twice a day for at least a few days to see if it helps.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z