Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I was told last week by my vet my 15 year old lab/chow mix

Customer Question

I was told last week by my vet my 15 year old lab/chow mix has cancer. he has almost stopped eating. wont get up when I come in and limps and now has stopped wagging his tail.. is he in pain and should I start looking in to ending his pain..
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about Scooby Doo's situation. Do you know what type of cancer he has? How was it diagnosed? Is he currently on any medications for it or for anything else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took him in to update his shots. the vet found it in a anal gland. she stated that its most always cancer in a dog this again and his issues. having hard time with BM's and having small BM's. the location ect.. no meds yet and I have not had a biopsy done yet. Due to his again Im afraid that the surgery will be to much. and he is on no meds for anything else. has never even had a ear infection.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information. If a mass was palpated in that region of the rectal area, an anal gland adenocarcinoma has to be very high on the list of concerns. Those are tough in that they are pretty aggressive and hard to surgically deal with. On top of that, they usually aren't cured with surgery and the cancer has already spread. I can't say that you are alone in making a decision like this to not pursue further testing for that mass. Knowing that though, could he benefit from some simple therapy to help him be more comfortable? In his situation, it would seem very reasonable to start him on some oral pain medication like Rimadyl (it is an NSAID similar to aspirin) to help him be more comfortable. Given his breed, could he also have arthritis somewhere that is also getting him down. It would be easy to start him on that and give him a few days to week or so to see how he does. If he isn't improving with that, then the consideration for his overall quality of life is definitely at the forefront. I consider a dogs quality of life to be good when they are eating, drinking, comfortable, social, and interactive. If he's not improving, then a decision to let him go would definitely be a kind decision.