Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Our 5 year old husky/lab has been drooling a lot lately, she

Customer Question

Our 5 year old husky/lab has been drooling a lot lately , she also has a tendency to eat our rugs. She is eating and drinking no problem ,but she also makes noises with her mouth, almost like licking. I think it might be a problem with her teeth or gums, but why is she eating the rugs, can dental problems have anything to do with that? I read one of your replies and you mentioned it might be separation ,etc. In that case the drooling does not make sense to me, any other suggestions? Rafal
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

Drooling can be a symptom of a tooth problem but it can also be a symptom of nausea. Licking is also a sign of nausea.

If you suspect gums or teeth look into her mouth for discoloration of teeth and swelling of gums in an area. Sometimes teeth can fracture below the gum line where you can't see it. Do a finger sweep around the teeth as well to feel for any particles stuck between the teeth especially if she is eating the rug. If the teeth are discolored it is best to have your vet check them.

If she is eating the carpets when you are not home or she is separated room you n the home then you may be looking at separation anxiety. However if you are finding she is doing this when you are home then it may be pica and this can be due to a physical ailment.

Here are causes for Pica http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/stomach-intestine-liver-or-pancreas/pica-in-dogs