Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Our German Shepard, eight years old has just began to pant

Customer Question

Our German Shepard, eight years old has just began to pant excessively and increased water intake. Eating and going the bathroom just fine Is there anything we should dp right now
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. I see your question came in the early morning hours and there may not have been anyone online to take your question or it was an extremely busy night.

How is your dog now?

When did the panting start?

How about the water intake did that just start as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Panting and excessive water intake for approx 10 days. More frequent, without bladder issues. Eating normally, wet nose, and gums appear to be normal color
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information. Baring the absence of heat, panting can be a sign of pain and given her age it would be wise to get a senior check up.

Excessive water intake can be a symptom of diabetes, infection, stones, liver disease problems with the pituitary gland or the dog cannot absorb the water properly .

So you have symptoms that lead to specific diseases and again due to the dogs age should be checked. At the least I would grab a urine specimen and ask your vet to check so they can see the concentration of it. This will then tell them the next step to do.

Here you will find causes for excessive water intake.

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/polydipsia-and-polyuria-excessive-drinking-and-urinating-in-dogs

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

I just looked up your breed to see if they were prone to diabetes or other diseases that would cause this and there was nothing specific listed so I would assume it may be more age related than breed related.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have a Vet appt today at 2:45 Thank You SO MUCH You know we always wait for our children, but not out dogs!!!!
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. Yes I understand completely being a dog lover. I think it's because they can't really tell us what is wrong, but we know how to get through to our kids to find the problem.

I wish your girl to have an easy fix and may she have many more happy years with you:)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How serious do you think this is ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still on line???
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am sorry I had an appointment. I don't think it is that serious, but due to age it is important to be sure for peace of mind. She continues to eat and bowel is fine and there's been no vomiting or fever.