Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog may have ingested some of an oxygen absorber packet.

Customer Question

My dog may have ingested some of an oxygen absorber packet. It was magnetic. Anywhere from 4 to 9 hours ago. He is 18 lbs and has no vomiting.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr. Nimmo. I read on the poison control website that if the dog does not vomit then they likely didn't ingest a toxic amount. I'm wondering if waiting to get a regular appointment with his normal vet is okay, or if he needs to go to the emergency care hospital (it's 9pm where I live).

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. Good news! : These types of product contain two active ingredients, one is silica and the other is iron oxide, neither of these is particularly toxic to dogs unless swallowed in large amounts.

2. As your dog only ingested a small amount { If any } then there is no cause for concern in this sort of situation and no special measures you need take. All you need to do is to monitor your dog for any adverse effects, but this would be very unlikely. However I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes or you would like to talk things over further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
According to the poison control website, there are three types; silica (non toxic), carbon (non toxic), and one containing iron (potentially toxic). The one containing iron is magnetic and can be picked up with a magnet - which this one could be.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You don't think it's urgent?

Hello again,

Very glad to talk this over with you further ...

The iron oxide component is potentially more toxic than the silica, that's true, but if only a small amount was ingested then this would be unlikely to cause significant adverse effects. As you say if your dog is not showing any symptoms such as vomiting then the chances are you are in the clear. I think you would be taking very little risk in just monitoring your dog for present but of course have your dog checked over by a vet in the unlikely event that any adverse symptoms appear.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thank you.

No problem, very glad to have advised you. As I said I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes or you would like to talk things over further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hi Kimberly,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kimberly Weber. How is everything going?

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the oxygen absorber incident ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.