Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Buddy my american dog of 5 years has some yeast infection on

Customer Question

buddy my american bull dog of 5 years has some yeast infection on his front paws and he also has a strange skin growing on his nipple. would you please help? i could send you a picture. sincerely, ***** *****
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good evening - I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that you're having some troubles with Buddy - I'm here to help. I'd be happy to review pictures if you could attach them using the paper clip icon at the top of the text box. You could also copy and paste me links if the photos are hosted on another website like flickr, icloud, or google photo.

The medications that you listed are typically used to treat painful conditions in pets - is he still taking those?

Thanks Claudia - I'll await your reply :)

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they did not work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just sent you some pics.
Thanks
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the pictures :)

OK now keep in mind that my assessment of these pictures is definitely not a substitute for an in-person examination by a veterinarian. Sometimes lesions look a little differently in person than they do in a picture.

I'd suspect that the lesions on his leg are allergy related lick granulomas. These are areas where the dog is licking excessively in response to itching caused by allergies. Allergies to food can cause this sort of reaction, as well as allergies to pretty much anything in the environment including pollens, grasses, trees, dusts, molds, etc. Since it's very difficult to control environmental levels of pollen, etc, we often will treat allergies symptomatically with steroids and/or antibiotics if we feel that the lesions are infected. Steroids make the itch go away, so the lesions do tend to heal when the pet is on them. The trick, though, is that if the allergen is still present when the steroids wear off, then the licking starts again. If it's something seasonal, sometimes a course of steroids once a year will get them through a rough patch. Those lesions really don't look to me like something that would respond to the medications that you listed. Those medications are more for pain, not allergic issues, so I'm not surprised at your assessment that they didn't seem to help. I guess theoretically he could be licking at those spots because of arthritis pain, but in my experience allergy is far more common and the fact that he didn't respond to treatment with arthritis medication only confirms my suspicions that arthritis isn't what's causing those lesions. These lesions can be really frustrating to treat because allergies are a chronic issue - there won't be a cure, only management. Sometimes they can be managed with topically applied hydrocortisone +/- triple antibiotic if they are mild. If they are open or weeping, I usually am sending a course of prednisone for my patients.

The small growth at the nipple may be just normal tissue overgrowth there. This one's a little tougher to nail without being able to actually touch the mass and see it in person but if it's small, not growing, not breaking or bleeding or bothering Buddy, it's reasonable just to keep an eye on it. If it's growing or bothering him at all, I'd consider seeing if the vet thinks it needs to be taken off. Dogs develop all sorts of lumps and bumps as they age, and many aren't cause for concern. Most vets are very good at telling the difference between the bad ones and the boring ones on physical examination.

Please let me know if you found this information helpful or if I can answer any other questions for you :)

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! Thank you so much :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already tried hydrocortisone and antibiotic topic lotion; would you please something for him to take? It looks to me yeast infection
About this overgrown skin; you are telling me to take him to the vet, right?
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

I'm glad to hear that you've tried the hydrocortisone, but sorry that it hasn't helped. This really doesn't look yeasty to me in the pictures - lick granulomas (also known as acral lick dermatitis) will always be hairless and "thickened". A quiet lick granuloma that the pet isn't licking at is no cause for concern. It's basically scar tissue from a previous inflammatory or infectious insult to the skin. So if these spots are dry and he is no longer bothering at them, you may not need to do anything at all right now. However, if he's licking at them a good deal you can either call your vet to ask if they might prescribe something else or try bandaging that foot to stop him from licking long enough for the spots to heal. If you've seen your vet recently, they may be willing to prescribe alternative medications if you just call and describe what he's got going on. It's essential to break the cycle of licking on these lick granulomas, and that can be done either physically with bandaging (which is difficult) or by using medications like prednisone to stop the itch. Benadryl can sometimes help take away allergy itching - I use it at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight every 8 hours (only in pets who are otherwise healthy and taking no other medications).

What other questions can I answer for you?

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I am not sure but I thought I was going to get a prescription like a real doctor but I was wrong
You gave me information and now after paying I am going to have to the vet anyway,
Thanks but no thanks
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Yes, unfortunately legally I cannot prescribe medications without actually examining your pet. It's against the law. However, I did spend a good deal of time chatting with you, reviewing your photos and I did provide you with information that I think was new to you. I believe that you find this information helpful in your decision of how to handle Buddy's issue - whether that means treating him at home or calling your vet. You can absolutely try the benadryl and wrapping as I suggested as well. This is the most I can do legally and ethically - I hope that you can understand my limitations here. If you would, please refrain from giving me a negative rating due to the legal limitations of my practice. No online service can replace an actual in-person physical exam.

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok