Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My dog is 65 pounds andwas steped on her left side when she

Customer Question

my dog is 65 pounds andwas steped on her left side when she was asleep now she will not walk and when she did she cryed and layed back down i dont see or feel anthing different i an using a ice pack on her side 15 0n and off.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still waiting
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Ginger was injured. Who stepped on her, a person? I would be concerned that she has a broken rib if she is acting in that much pain. Aspirin and the ice packs were a good first choice for her, but I think she may need chest x-rays and stronger pain medication such as Rimadyl and tramadol. How much aspirin did you give her? The normal dose for a dog her size is 325mg twice daily.

Is she having any labored breathing? Another concern was if the rib was broken in such a way as to puncture a lung. This would lead to air leakage into the chest cavity which would block her lungs from filling completely.

For tonight I would monitor her breathing closely to ensure that it is not labored. Also check her gum color to ensure that they are a nice medium pink color. As long as her breathing is normal and her gums are pink, she can wait until morning to be seen by a veterinarian.

In the morning, I would recommend taking her to your regular vet for chest x-rays. They will also be able to prescribe stronger pain medications for her.

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Ginger this evening? Is she still showing signs of pain? Were you able to take her to the vet today? Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda