Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is constipated. This has happened only maybe 3 times

Customer Question

My dog is constipated. This has happened only maybe 3 times in 12 years. What can I do to help. We walk everyday. It has been 24 hours since she pooped
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if she isn’t passing stool, then we do need to tread with care and give a bit of assistance at this stage. Of course, if you see any vomiting, belly pain, and if she were to become distressed with this; then we’d need to have her seen urgently by her vet. Though as long as we are not, there are a few tricks you can try at home for Lexi.

To start, we can help relieve mild constipation by using some cow milk. This is because dogs are like little lactose intolerant people and therefore this can help move things down the gut a bit quicker. Or you can treat her with a dose of OTC cat hairball medication. This works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Alternatively, we could also mix a small volume of a GI lubricant (ie Miralax, lactulose, or food grade mineral oil) into her food. Do avoid giving it directly, since we’d want to avoid any aspiration risk.

Further to this, if she is eating you can mix in some fiber(ie a spoonful of canned pumpkin, all bran, or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil) into her food. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. When offering these, its best to use wet food both for ease of feeding but also since canned food is 35% water. So, do keep that up for Lexi. It’s a good way to make sure we are getting fluids into her As well,you also want to encourage her to drink by offering fresh water, low salt chicken broth, or even lactose free milk. The increase in fluids with avoid any dehydration risk, which can make constipation worse.

So, the above treatments would be our options at this stage for Lexi. Of course, as you use these, do keep a close eye on her fecal output. Hopefully, we will see some feces, but if we don’t in the next 12-24 hours, or she begins to vomit or feel poorly at all, then we’d need to get your local vet involved. Severe impactions of feces are usually secondary to more serious diseases, so if she doesn't respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments,then she may require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation).

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long will it take unflavored Metamucil to work
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

All oral treatments will need 12-24 hours to pass from one end of the other. Though our GI lubricants can worm quicker (since they slide through). Therefore Metamucil could take 12-24 hours, but if we need quicker action those lubricants would be our best option.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lexi. How is everything going?
nekovet