Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

My puppy is 10 weeks old and since yesterday morning her

Customer Question

My puppy is 10 weeks old and since yesterday morning her stool has been soft and a little blood in and around it. She is pooping more often than usual and the last couple times I have noticed what looks like mucus in it she is still eating and drinking very playful none of that has changed she does get into my older dogs food. What could cause that and what can I do.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in canine health. I need to ask a few questions to best assist you.

What type of diet is the puppy on?

Is the puppy up to date on vaccines?

Could the puppy gotten into a non food item?

Any Vomiting?

Is the blood bright red?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is on puppy chow. My son said that she was chewing on a little piece of drywall about 3 or 4 days ago. No vomiting. No its not bright red.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is up to date on vaccines
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

What you describe with the mucus and the blood sounds like a touch of Collitis which is an irritation in the lining of the Colon. This is usually from eating something inappropriate. Most likely from getting into the older dog's food. sudden change in foods can cause this problem. We can try helping the puppy by giving some skinless boiled Chicken breast 1 part to 3 parts white rice. To the chicken and rice mixture you can add a tablespoon of Canned Pumpkin(not pie filling). This bland diet will help the stomach rest and also help with the diarrhea. Feed the bland diet for a week and gradually wean back onto the Puppy food. This should help resolve the problem. If it still continues, then a Vet visit may be needed.

Please let me know if you need clarification. If I have addressed your concerns, Please Rate my Service 5 Stars.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I am checking in on your puppy, how is she doing?

Joan