Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog puppy 6 months old approx. 35lbs, chewed of the top

Customer Question

my bull dog puppy 6 months old approx. 35lbs, chewed of the top my insulin pump and the cartrige in the pump. my meter on the pump said 1.5 units of humilog 500 was remaining. what should I do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. This shouldn't be a bad situation. Any insulin eaten should be in the stomach where it will get digested / broken down and not cause any glucose level alterations. If there was a cut on the gums, then could some get absorbed? Chances of that are slim. Insulin is given as an injectable in people and pets as it doesn't survive the intestinal tract. Some feel the perfect world is an oral insulin product that saves having to give injections but this isn't possible - yet.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

The bigger concern here would possibly be if portions of the pump were missing and he has eaten them to maybe cause a foreign body situation.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Hugo. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is doing fine thank you for your advice