Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

I have a 5 year old shih tzu male and he is not nueted he

Customer Question

Hi I have a 5 year old shih tzu male and he is not nueted he was jumping his bear in Wednesday night and when I woke up in the morning I noticed two 5p sizes of blood in his bed, so I took the bear away and their was no more blood. Then on Saturday I let him have his bear again and while humping he was fine, no blood either the following morning on his bed or when he urinated. Then when I took him fir his afternoon walk he urniated with blood the first three times and then his urine was clear and no blood dripping from his penis! Do you think this is just friction damage to his penis!? Or something more serious?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that Coco has you worried. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help.

Friction damage is not something we normally see and if and when we do we see damage to the actual sheath or the penis itself not blood in the urine. Blood in the urine can be due to infection, urinary crystals, bladder stones or in a non-neutered male infection of the prostate gland.

I would suggest having him seen by your vet at your earliest convenience. They will want to check the urine for signs of infection as well as check the prostate gland to see if it is enlarged. If the prostate is enlarged they may recommend neutering to prevent serious complications down the road. If these tests are clear your vet may then recommend x rays to actually look at the prostate and check for bladder/kidney stones.

Until you can get him in I would encourage drinking as much as possible to help flush the bladder and remove his bear. I hope he does ok.

Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you today.

Candy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would the blood in his urine be constant if it was an infection or prostate problems or on and off?
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

It can be off and on if it is a problem with the prostate. Urinary crystals and bladder stones can also cause intermittent inflammation resulting in the blood. Now some dogs will have blood when they first urinate and then no blood with infection as well but it is more common with infection to see consistent blood in the urine.

Non neutered dogs are at risk for prostate infections, abscesses, enlarged prostate and testicular/prostate cancer.

Blood in the urine should never be considered normal even if it is intermittent.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kezi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Coco. How is everything going?
Candy
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I just wanted to check in and see how things were going with Coco.