Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our 11 yr old dog just had a seizure. What is the treatment?

Customer Question

Our 11 yr old dog just had a seizure. What is the treatment for seizures?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How is Max just now?

Any access to toxins or anything harmful?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Max is fine now. He hasn't had access to toxins or anything harmful that I know of. He eats everything he sees, I don't know if something may have been in our yard or not.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

If Max is fine just now and the chance of toxicity is low, then you need only monitor him at this stage. It is possible to see one-off seizures in older dogs and we don't necessarily treat those (often even exams at this point tend to be normal). Of course, any more seizures or any changes (ie GI upset, wobbliness, behavior changes, etc) then we'd want to have an urgent check for him.

Otherwise, once his regular vet is open you could consider having a check up +/- a geriatric blood test. This will allow you to ensure that his seizures were not related to any organ dysfunction (ie liver, kidney) or infections. Otherwise, if those are ruled out and your vet's examination confirms brain based issues (ie bleeds, swelling, infection, growths) are unlikely they again we would just monitor. This is because we do not treat seizures (even in epileptics) unless they have >1 in 6 months. So, if we see another, then we need to look into this. But if he shows no more and no signs of anything amiss, then we'd just keep our eye on him at this stage.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going?
nekovet