Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a question. What is the process?

Customer Question

I have a question. What is the process?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. { You will see the answer below }

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Written reply is fine. I will add that I have taken the dog out for two walks today and each time diarrhea but a minimal amount.

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. It is really good that he has brought up the bully stick, probably this has just left him with a minor upset stomach which should now quickly pass, but of course this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check him over without delay.

That said that there are a number of home remedies for diarrhoea in the dog, these can often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug of some sort. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, a couple of tablespoons would be fine for a dog of your one's size.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to know if this sounds serious if the dog seems fine and normal other than the diarrhea? I have some probiotic capsules for dogs. Do you recommend giving one on an empty stomach? Do you think the rice and boiled chicken didn't help because I didn't fast the dog? Are you sure I should give pepto bismol since knowing this was likely caused by the bully stick?

Hello again,

Very glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. Given he is fine other than the diarrhoea then this does not sound such a serious situation. Now the bully stick has been vomited up he should slowly improve and common sense home remedies may help the situation.

2. You can substitute the probiotic capsules for the live yogurt since they both work in the same way. These can safely be given on an empty stomach.

3. A short period of fasting before you give the small frequent rice and chicken meals can often make a difference as this rests the digestive tract before you start to gradually bring it back to function.

4. The Pepto Bismol will often help to settle the digestive tract of dogs with your one's symptoms, and in any case is unlikely to do any harm

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you

No problem, very glad to have advised you. I should be available online for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the diarrhoea ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?