Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Our dog ate about 20 tums 30 lb Australian Shepard 5 months

Customer Question

Our dog ate about 20 tums
30 lb Australian Shepard 5 months
What to do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few qustions of my own to ensure I give you the best advice possible...

About how long ago did Ryder eat them?

Do you have any peroxide in the house?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
20 minutes ago
Yes we have hydrogen peroxide
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

The good news is that this shouldn't cause too much of a problem. Breeders often give their females with puppies or about to have puppies Tums for the extra calcium in them, and they have a very wide safety margin.

That being said, with this kind of ingestion we do expect a little possible gastrointestinal upset. Things like vomiting or diarrhea from the other ingredients in the tums, and/or the dog may get a little constipated from the calcium. Generally these pass on their own and no medical intervention is needed.

I would just have you keep an eye on him and encourage him to drink water (to flush the calcium through his system to try to avoid the constipation). You should also be prepared for a little vomiting or diarrhea.

If you notice that any of these issues present and don't clear up in a day or so, then he should be seen by a vet, just to be on the safe side...but I don't think it's going to be a problem.

I hope this helps.