Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog left eye he cant keep it open he looks like he is

Customer Question

my dog left eye he cant keep it open he looks like he is sleep all the time what can that be
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question tonight. Just like an in person consult, I have a couple questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

How long has the eye been like this?

Is the eyeball itself red at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hes been like that for about a week............
hes eye is not red he can open it but when hes just sitting there looks like hes closing it or trying to keep it open
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hes playing with his brother but when hes sitting still just looking around hes eye looks like it wants to close
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

From your description, it sounds like he's got an injury or trauma to that eye, there's many ways that a puppy can injure an eye....either rubbing it on something outside, or even by rubbing it on the carpeting at home.

The fact that both the eyeball itself and the area around the eye are red and that it's only one eye (if it were both eyes, I'd be thinking about infection or other medical issues) makes me really feel like this is trauma of some kind.

If he were mine, I'd have him seen at the emergency vet tonight. If you're unsure of where one is in your area, you can go to: ***** ***** plug in your zip code. They'll show you where the closest one is to you.

At the vet, they'll likely want to use a special stain to check the surface of the eye for injury/damage and may want to use a tonometer to check the pressure in that eye. Once they determine what is going on they'll be able to send out the right medication to get the eye feeling more comfortable and help it heal.

Because this is an eye, I wouldn't wait to have her seen until your regular vet opens. Since it's already been going on for a day or so the possibility of the eye becoming too damaged to save increases the longer it goes without it being treated.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddy. How is everything going?
Lisa