petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I just went to the vet, my dog was vomiting a lot of bowel

Customer Question

I just went to the vet, my dog was vomiting a lot of bowel and couldn't hardly walk. The vet couldn't find anything wrong with him. Please help!
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

Is Chewy still vomiting?

Did your vet offer any sort of testing on Chewy? Bloodwork? Xrays?

Is Chewy still with the vet or did they send him home with you? Is he being given any medications?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is no longer vomiting. He was extremely thirsty and drank a lot of water. He seems really tired right now and just resting. He is walking much better now and not stumbling. He appeared really loose in his back legs. He keeps licking under his hind legs. They did not take any bloodwork or give him any meds. He had a burst of energy while at the vet. After he drank the water he got a little weak again. He is almost 10 years old.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply.

When some dogs vomit a lot, they can get weak, especially if they become dehydrated. I am not surprised that he is tired now. It would be a good idea to give his GI system a rest. Since he is an adult dog, a 12-24 hr fast will not hurt him and will let his gut calm down. Continue to offer small amounts of water at a time. When you do begin feeding him again, you will want to offer frequent, small meals of something very digestible for him. These would include items like boiled hamburger or chicken and rice or pasta. No sauces or gravies, but a little non greasy broth would be OK. If he continues not to vomit, I would continue that for a few days and then slowly wean him back onto his normal food and feeding schedule. If the vomiting returns or he is otherwise not acting himself, I would have your vet re-evaluate him and consider further testing.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible that he may have a virus or something? It also appeared that he may have had a seizure. He had a mix or vomit and urine in his kennel. When I went to pick him up, it appeared like he was biting and attacking the air. I've never seen anything like that before.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, a virus can certainly be a cause of vomiting. And yes, air biting or snapping can be a form of seizure behavior. Many dogs that go through a grand mal type seizure will urinate and defecate, but vomiting is not commonly part of the presentation.

Here is a link with more information about seizures in dogs.

LINK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will keep an eye out on him. This makes me really concerned for him but knowing it's common for them to get weak makes me feel better. I will start Him on the diet tomorrow.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. Please keep me posted as to how things progress for him.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sure will! I just remembered that a couple of Weaks ago we were out of town and one of the kids were holding him and he fell on his head really hard. Not sure if this would possibly cause the issues or not. Just wanted to be sure.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Head trauma can cause seizures, but not vomiting usually. I would keep a log (date, length of seizure, actions, etc) of any seizure activity so that if it occurs again and you see it, you will have something to reference.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks so much!
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

My pleasure.

Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Chewy. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.