Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 10 month old border collie pup appears in good health and

Customer Question

My 10 month old border collie pup appears in good health and is eating and drinking fine and full of life. But he is occasionally gagging a little bit or giving an odd cough. He had a bone a couple of days ago and wondered if he could have scratched his throat. I have checked his mouth/throat and all looks fine as far as I can see and felt around his throat externally and he seems OK in every way. What could this be and is there any treatment
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I understand your concern. By the principle of Occam's Razor, however, it's likely that such a young dog as Flynn is exhibiting the signs of oropharyngeal irritation as you alluded to or perhaps has picked up infectious tracheobronchitis (kennel cough) after associating with other dogs 3-10 days ago - the incubation period for infectious tracheobronchitis. He's feeling and acting too well for me to consider more serious causes of occasional gag/cough - neuromuscular disorders, cardiac disease, and lower respiratory disorders involving his lungfields. There's no reason to treat in any manner at this time but I would have Flynn checked by his vet should those symptoms persist for more than two weeks or, indeed, exacerbated. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.