How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Lefler Your Own Question
Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 19188
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Jane Lefler is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a small dog thatconsumed some chocolate chips

Customer Question

Hello. I have a small dog thatconsumed some chocolate chips approximately 14 hrs ago...we have had some nausea and she has had a bowel movement..what to do now..
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Different kinds of chocolates have different toxicity amounts. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is what causes the toxic response. Signs of theobromine toxic poisoning should appear within 1 to 4 hours of ingesting the chocolate. These include vomiting, increased thirst, diarrhea, weakness, difficulty keeping balance, hyperexcitability, muscle spasm, seizures, coma and potentially death from an abnormal heart rhythm.

The following websites will give you’re the approximate amounts of chocolate that you will need to worry about based on the size of your dog and the type of chocolate.

http://www.vspn.org/Library/misc/VSPN_M01325.htm

http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/beaglehealth_chocolatetoxicosis.htm

There is also an interactive chart available as well here:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2007/10/pets/chocolate-chart-interactive

You also should be aware of the fact that the high fat content in chocolate can also trigger pancreatitis in some dogs. If your dog is still experiencing vomiting and diarrhea, you may wish to take your dog into the vet to check for this condition. You can read about pancreatitis here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1580&aid=335

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/acute-pancreatitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If it has already been 14 hours, your dog has already experienced any toxic symptoms from the chocolate ingestion that she is going to have. If she did eat enough to be toxic and is experiencing symptoms still or has become dehydrated, have her seen as well. Skin that does not move back into position quickly when pulled up between the shoulder blades and release can indicate dehydration as can tacky feeling gums.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

I forgot to check the box to allow you to rate my response to you. I apologize for this.

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if it does not allow you to rate.

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Jane Lefler

Related Dog Questions