Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My puppy is 10 months old and this am I awoke to one eye

Customer Question

My puppy is 10 months old and this am I awoke to one eye with slight blood in corner where sleep in the eye would be. Now it's in the other eye. I'm very concerned
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

A careful examination of Dalila's eyes is likely to reveal a combination of mucus, oil, skin cells, blood and other debris that has collected in her medial canthi (where sleep ordinarily collects) due to a conjunctivitis - inflammation of the conjunctiva often secondary to allergy or irritants and, less so, infection. The long nose dogs (dolichocephalic dogs) such as she will collect ocular discharge in that area more so than other dogs simply due to their anatomy but the presence of blood is always abnormal and bears checking. It's very unlikely that such a young dog is experiencing more serious eye problems than a simple conjunctivitis which is likely to respond nicely to a combination antibiotic-corticosteroid ointment instilled in each eye 2-3 times daily until her eyes normalize. You might find it necessary to repeat therapy from time to time if she's diagnosed with an allergic conjunctivitis.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dalila. How is everything going?