Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My yorkie's outer eye is pink and swollen where it should

Customer Question

My yorkie's outer eye is pink and swollen where it should be white. I just gave him a bath. Could I have just gotten some shampoo in there and irritated? Or something more serious? It was not there prior to bathing.He doesn't seem to be in any pain or bothered by me looking and touching around the eye area.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that your boy has you worried. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

Shampoo is a big eye irritant and can even lead to ulceration of the eye. This is not an uncommon occurrence after a bath. If the eye was fine before the bath then I suspect that he may have gotten some of the shampoo in his eye. What you could do is rinse the eye twice daily with sterile saline such as that used for contact lenses. Never use medicated eye drops like Visine. If he start squinting, rubbing his eye or the eye seems to get worse then I would have him seen by a vet.

In the future what you can do to try to prevent any problems during a bath is apply artificial tears ointment in the eyes before his bath. This is not medicated and is basically just a lubricate but the ointment helps protect the eye should any shampoo get in there.

I hope this helps and his eye gets better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by just answer for assisting you today.

Candy