Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog is taking Fluoxetine and I want to try Vet CBD which

Customer Question

my dog is taking Fluoxetine and I want to try Vet CBD which is cannibis for him. The Fluoxetine has helped some with his fear aggression. He seems less aggressive but more anxious. Can he take both? Should I wean him off Fluoxetine first?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a couple questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...

How long has he been on the Fluoxetine?

How much is he getting?

How much does he weigh?

When was the last time he had blood work done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he has been on Fluoxetine about 2 months. He gets 10mg a day. He weighs 40 lb. I don't think we have ever done blood work. He is a very healthy active dog just has fear anxiety (he is a rescue)
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

The thing we worry about using both Fluoxetine and the CBD is the possibility of it depressing his respiratory/cardiac system. Both products are meant to bring a dog down (for lack of a better way to put it) and doubling up on that kind of product can make it a bad duo.

I would 100% talk to your vet and have them do some blood work to make sure there's nothing wrong with his kidneys/liver (since Fluoxetine can be tough on the kidneys). If that's clear, then I would ask the vet about trying the CBD. Normally you do step down one medication before starting another...so you guys can discuss how quickly to do this wash out period so that it's safe for your boy.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this does not answer my question. My vet does not want to talk about it since she has no experience with Vet CBD. If your answer is ask your vet please refund my $$.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

I'm not asking you to discuss the CBD with her. I'm asking you to discuss stepping down (weaning off) the Fluoxetine. The CBD isn't used frequently in vet medication and since it's considered 'holistic', most vets don't have a ton of experience with it.

It's th Fluoxetine I want you to discuss with her. She knows your dog better than I do, so she'll know if it's safe to take him off the one medication to get him on the other.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. I do think my $$ should be refunded since my question was not answered. Please do that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i guess what I am saying is you were unable to answer my question since you do not know my dog. Fair comment but I shouldn't have to pay for an answer you were not able to give.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. I was able to get an answer to my question from the Vet CBD people. (it is fine to start with using both--if the CBD works then I will work with my vet on weaning him from the Fluoxetrine. Please refund my $$ and I will leave a good review for integrity.